Re: Fail to start Gnome desktop

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 10:35, uws wrote:
> PÃ¥ Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 10:13:01AM +0800, Stephen Liu skrev:
> > Kindly advise how to check the corrupted settings database.  Which config
> > file/files I have to check?
> > > Rename your ~./gnome and your ~/.gnome2 directories and try again.
> > locate .gnome
> > [snip]
>
> > Shall I rename all above "/.gnome" and /.gnome2" directories?
>
> That's what I'd suggest :-)
>
>   $ cd
>   $ mv .gnome gnome-backupdir
>   $ mv .gnome2 gnome2-backupdir

Of course, the settings database isn't in either of those directories,
its in .gconf.

This problem does arise for quite a few other reasons, tho, not the
least of which is simply that you didn't install GNOME correctly.  The
Debian packages, last I had used them, were rather horrible at getting
up and running easily.  Did you install using 'apt-get install gnome',
or have you tried installing individual packages manually?  Is the gconf
package (not sure which Debian package name that's in) installed?

> That's all. Make sure you do this in a console (no X session!)
>
>   mvrgr, Wouter
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.