Re: I want to be able to type in the filename...

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 19:42 +0100, Gábor Farkas wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 16:10 +0100, Gábor Farkas wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps instead of assuming that whatever problem you have would be
> > solved by a path entry widget, why not stop and identify the problems
> > and think up better solutions?  Do you just want faster keyboard
> > navigation?  Sounds reasonable.  Maybe we need some key-bindings for "up
> > folder" in the dialog?  (I can't seem to find one.)  I do know that I
> > can type in paths in Save As dialog to move around.  Maybe the type-
> > ahead find should be able to recognize "../files/" and change the file
> > view.
> >
> > There are tons of things that can be done to improve the UI for
> > technical users without cluttering the UI with useless widgetry for non-
> > technical users.
> >
> yes, but why weren't those considered from the beginning?
> for example how could this become the new file dialog without a keyboard
> shortcut to go "up" one folder.

Because nobody filed bugs, and instead people just sat there ignoring it
and occasionally making ultimately useless flames and discussions on
mailing lists?  File a bug.  It will never, ever get fixed or even
looked at by someone capable of making the fix until a bug is filed.

> there was an old file dialog. it featured fast keyboard navigation.
> there's the new one. i like it more. it looks a lot better (it copies
> kde's and windows's file-chooser after all :>> ). but the keyboard
> navigation is not fast. it's nearly impossible.

File a bug.  Offer useful suggestions besides "the new one sucks."
Offer those suggestions in bug reports.
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.