Re: File types menu entry gone

Mariano Su�z-Alvarez wrote:

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:49 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
Sean Middleditch wrote:

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:

I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was actually looking for right now...
It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.

In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
you have to edit .desktop files.

Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a really bad idea. - Because menus, which .desktop files are otherwise used for, and MIME handlers represent completely different functionality, so their setup shouldn't be mixed.

The .desktop file is (has evolved into) a description of the interface
the app has (visible name, category, what mime type it handles, etc)
That is not evil, IMHO.
Depends on how closely it's tied to the menu system, I guess. With KDE (and GNOME) a few years ago, the .desktop files were very much the menu system's config in the sense that there was a one-two-one mapping between these files and the menu items, and their locations controlled the menu layout (actually, I liked that approach due to its simplicity.) Also using it to set up MIME config then seemed very wrong. One objection was of course that you were forced to add an app to the menu system if you wanted to set it up as a MIME handler. And it all felt a bit like storing one application's configuration data in a different one's config file, if you know what I mean.

What is happening to the "application-registry" files?

-- m