Re: File types menu entry gone

Sean Middleditch wrote:

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was actually looking for right now...

It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.

In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
you have to edit .desktop files.

Also, is really mime type information encoded in .desktop? Urgh, that's exactly what I tried explaining to the KDE people many years ago was a really bad idea. - Because menus, which .desktop files are otherwise used for, and MIME handlers represent completely different functionality, so their setup shouldn't be mixed.

 You can reassign the handler for an
existing MIME type, however.  In a rather backwards and user-model-
breaking fashion, unfortunately.