Re: File types menu entry gone

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 22:43 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:

> >  You can reassign the handler for an
> >existing MIME type, however.  In a rather backwards and user-model-
> >breaking fashion, unfortunately.
> >

> Yeah, I think I agree. Well, I guess beeing able to change handlers via
> the properties box sort of makes sence if you start off with a file, but
> what if you don't? What if you want to set up a handler for files you
> are going to download from the net (before you download them)? Or just
> like to do things in advance?

I suppose if someone with the time and know-how wrote a nice utility
with a sane and grokable UI for managing MIME types and handlers,
there's a chance it might be included as a sysadmin-style tool.  Bonus
points if it can run as a user and as a sysadmin users for modifying
per-user or system-wide settings.

The old system died due both to the MIME rewrite and the fact that, for
the simple stuff, the old MIME manager was, well, evil.
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.