Re: File types menu entry gone

Sean Middleditch wrote:

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 19:56 +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
I can't see that this explains how to add a MIME type, or whatever happened to the "internet services" config, which was what I was actually looking for right now...

It's the very first thing mentioned on the "What's New" page.
I noticied that MIME types were mentioned there, what I was trying to say was that I didn't find anything there about adding types, or the "internet services", which I'm having problems with right now (or perhaps there is another problem. "Help" buttons in the GUI won't work, in any case...)

In short, you can't add a new MIME type or protocol handler in the UI,
you have to edit .desktop files.

Too bad... Well, personally I don't mind editing files by hand, but this still seems like a step in the wrong direction.

 You can reassign the handler for an
existing MIME type, however.  In a rather backwards and user-model-
breaking fashion, unfortunately.
Yeah, I think I agree. Well, I guess beeing able to change handlers via the properties box sort of makes sence if you start off with a file, but what if you don't? What if you want to set up a handler for files you are going to download from the net (before you download them)? Or just like to do things in advance?

- T