Dynamically building panel applet popup menu

My panel applet problem (see previous posts) from yet another angle:

What I want to do is build a menu in a dynamic fashion, as opposed to from a static XML string or file. The exact contents of the menu depends on a config file. (The config is *not* a direct description of the menu, but details on the menu can be derived from it.) In GNOME 1 this was straight forward as the menu was built one item at a time anyway, but with GNOME-2 it turns out to be quite tricky. I'm trying to incrementally build an XML string, then call panel_applet_setup_menu() as usual, but it doesn't work out right as I can't find a way to distinguish the menu items from each other in my callback. I could use an unique verb for each item, but then would have to build the BonoboUIVerb list dynamically, too, and the code would be starting to look quite horrible... Is there a better way to go about this?

- Toralf