common desktop icon or panel launcher

hello

I want to put a common desktop icon for every users connecting to a shared computer. In gnome-1 I didn't find out how to do it in the desktop , so I did it in the panel. I just editted:
/etc/gnome/panel-config/panel.d/default/Applet_Config
Now this no longer exist :-(
How can I put a default desktop or panel icon/launcher for every user connecting to a shared computer without having to edit every user's personnal ~/.gnome2/... files .

thanks.