Can I extract attributes from XML via BonoboUIComponent?

Since one of my questions about panel applets is sill open, I'll try to ask it a different way:

I have a callback of type BonoboUIVerbFn which is called on selection of a specific menu item. I want to get more details about this item from within the callback, i.e. to obtain data from the corresponding "<menuitem>" in the XML code that describes the menu. I'm assuming that I need to go through the BonoboUIComponent parameter to get what I want, but I'm not able to figure out how exactly it may be done. Can anyone give me more information on this?

--
- Toralf