Re: gnome-terminal 2.5.experiences long pauses on solaris 8

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I shall take your advice and now
that I have found out a few more details, I will be able to
file a better bug report.

For the record, gnome-terminal goes into some kind of loop
in which it repeatedly calls poll() when I try to select
text.  This carries on for up to 10 seconds and each time,
poll() returns the result that no activity has happened on
any of the filehandles that it's watching.  Amongst the
file handles are ones that relate to the connection to the
X server and one that refers to the current pty.

Immediately before the poll, gnome-term has been writing
data to the X server so I expect that it is waiting for
something back - which it never gets, perhaps.

Cheers, :-)

Tim

Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I have been experiencing a problem with gnome-terminal
>> 2.5.x (both 2.5.0 and CVS head after 2.5.1) and vte
0.11.x
>>  (I have tried CVS head and 0.11.10).  I am running them
on
>> Solaris 8 (sparc) and everything was compiled with
>> gcc-3.3.2.
>>
>> I'm sorry, BTW, that I'm not subscribed but I can't
afford
>> to store the volume of messages in my webmail account.
>
> There is a handy "don't receive any mail from this list"
> option in mailman, but then I suppose you wouldn't see
> any replies, either. I presume you're reading from the
> web archives?
>
>> There are three problems:
>
> I have snipped this, because I really have no idea on any
> of it. Since there have been no other responses, I think
> would suggest you file it in bugzilla with all the detail
> you included in the original message.
>
>> I hope that this is useful to someone.  Perhaps I will
be
>> able to work out how to get gprof to produce some
profiling
>> information which will indicate the source of the
problem
>> more precisely.
>
> I think it is useful information: it's just that none of
> the gnome-terminal or vte people have spotted it in here
:/

> Definitely bugzilla it, though: they can't escape it
there :)

 Look Good, Feel Good www.healthiest.co.za