Nautilus and automounted directories

Hi list,

I am using GNOME 2.4.1 and i really do like nautilus, but i am a bit annoyed by its behaviour wrt to automounted directories. If i point nautilus to an automounted dir, say "/home/john" then it display its contents, but after some time, it just falls back to my home dir. It seems that the automounter unmounts it because nautilus does not keep the directory open. This is even worse when i want to browse a CD, which is automounted with a 5 sec timeout. It's almost unusable!

I looked for a way to configure this in nautilus, but could not find anything. As a kludge, i open a terminal window and enter "cd /home/john" or "cd /rmdisks/cdrom", but this really isn't a solution.

Is there a way to have nautilus either
- keep the directory open or
- keep displaying the contents, even if the dir is unmounted?

There's a related problem when i put a link to an automounted dir on the desktop and try to open it. Nautilus barks that it is a dead link and offers to move it to trash. It is not dead! It is just not mounted, but would be if nautilus would try to open it!

I would be very thankful for any help. I really like using GNOME.

Heinrich Rebehn

University of Bremen
Physics / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Telecommunications -

Phone : +49/421/218-4664
Fax   :            -3341