Re: Workspaces

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 01:41:11PM +1100, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> You may not agree with the decision (I did not, at the time), but
> calling it stupid is unreasonable. If you would like to use a window
> manager with viewports, then go for it. GNOME is not a window manager.
> It does work fairly well with EWMH-compliant window. For example,
> searching the archives I point to above (or reading the old GNOME 2.0
> release notes) will show you how to set up Sawfish to have a viewport
> behaviour.

	Sage advise.  As it so happens, I went back and reviewed that
README.  I remember now, that it didn't work for me.  But now I know
why.  RedHat RPM's even now (even RawHide and Fedora) are SawFish 1.x
and they don't have SawFish2 rpms.  So, every version of SawFish I
build barfed error messages about those commands in the .sawfishrc
file and so I gave up on SawFish without realy knowing why.  My error
for not reading more closely.

	As it so happens (and I mentioned in another message) I was already
in the process of downloading Enlightenment.  I'm now back on Enlightenment
and it's working perfectly (even down to my old settings).  I've got a
RedHat 9 RPM for Enlightment, so that may well be my get-outa-jail-free
card since I don't have a viable SawFish2 to work from.

	The only peculiarity with Enlightenment is that it's in "the other
camp" from SawFish with regards to hybrid desktops of multiple virtual
workspaces.

	Some WMs treat virtual workspaces as a true full three dimensions
where the workspace number is the Z axis and the horizontal and vertical axis
are X and Y relative to the XWindows root +0+0.  Others treat them as
independent rooms or desktops.

	I've got script functions that compute offsets and "geometry"
coords based on where the viewport is based those coords when starting
windows from scripts, even if the target is to be placed on a viewport
with negative offset from the current viewport.  Actually pretty simple
to script and coordinate with the X-Toolkit geometry option.  Haven't
found a way to portably map new apps to differnet workspaces (yes, another
reason why view ports are superior) in either paradigm, though.  But these
script functions work with virtual desktops perfectly in BOTH paradigms.

	SawFish, and others, treated it as a true three dimensional system
where, if you moved in the X and Y offsets in one desktop, you moved your
viewport in all desktops simultaniously.  That's where my mental paradigm
is right now.  It's easy to comprehend spacially.  Good intuitive feel.
I generally don't even have to look at the keyboard or screen to know where
I will end up with a set of keystrokes (it doesn't depend on past state).

	Enlightenment, and others, treat each desktop independently,
maintaining an origin in each desktop so you can move around in one
desktop and not affecting another desktop.  Elegant and reasonable.
Why SHOULD one workspace affect another.  You have to remember what
viewport you were in when you were last in that workspace.  A simple X/Y
position from the last workspace doesn't help.  But it's not quite a
gestault.  The desktop should be a whole...  A concept...  A model and
a visualization...  But, maybe not...

	Not sure which I like better.  The old SawFish paradigm was easy
to visualize and conceptualize.  The Enlightenment paradign is easy to
conceptualize and rationalize and not so easy to visualize (when you are
in the middle of 24 systems on a set of KVMs with vitual screens and
workspaces and virtual desktops and X and Y and Z - Yes that is my everyday
environment).  Takes a little getting use to, but at least it works...  But
now it feels like old home...

	In each case...  The whole (multiple workspaces of two dimensions
of virtual workspace) are much greater than the mere sum of the two
paradigms.  It may be possible to make it work under SawFish2 but it's
looking more and more like Enlightenment is the way to go.

	But I appreciate the pointers.  I found new stuff and new answers
tonight.  That's a good night!  I've made progress, now, when I've been
stalled for months...  :-)

> Malcolm

	Thanks again!

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw WittsEnd com
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/