Re: Workspaces

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 13:17, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 05:02:48PM -0400, Dominic Amann wrote:
> > It seems that the "debate" between workspaces and viewports happened
> > back in January, someplace between someone's ears, and the decision was
> > made to drop viewports, and use workspaces.
>
> 	I like that "someplace between someone's ears".  What we use
> to call in support as "operator headspace" when someone did something
> penultimately stupid.

Please take your invective somewhere else. It is uninformed and
unenlightening.

Whilst hesitating to introduce facts into your argument, for your
information, the workspace vs. viewport discussion happened on public
mailing lists back in late 2001 and the first half of 2002 -- it did not
happen in Jan 2003 and was not done in somebody's head. The debate has
resurfaced periodically since then, but without anything pertinent being
added. Reasonably summaries of the rationale behind the decision and the
opposition case can be found by browsing the archives of
desktop-devel-list in the couple of months leading up to the release of
GNOME 2.0 (June 2002).

You may not agree with the decision (I did not, at the time), but
calling it stupid is unreasonable. If you would like to use a window
manager with viewports, then go for it. GNOME is not a window manager.
It does work fairly well with EWMH-compliant window. For example,
searching the archives I point to above (or reading the old GNOME 2.0
release notes) will show you how to set up Sawfish to have a viewport
behaviour.

Malcolm