Re: Gnome2: Workspaces, multiple sessions with gdm and nautilus desktop.

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 10:15, Patricio Rojo wrote:
> Greetings!,
>
>    I have some configurations issues for gnome2, I'll really appreaciate if
> anyone can help me.
>
>    I just installed gnome2, I was surprised to know that this version does not
> support viewports, and we have to use only workspaces... are there any way to
> arrange workspaces in rows and columns? so that we are not forced to a
> sequencial change of workspaces?, that was a very handy feature of viewports!.

Right-click on the workspace switcher and go to preferences; change the
number of rows.

>    Regarding sessions: gdm always sent me to the default gnome session, it just
> ignores any request from gnome session chooser (set
> 'ShowGnomeChooserSession=true' in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf)
>    I want to be able to choose from multiple customized sessions (for example,
> one for use in home and other for the office).
>    I understand that the name of the session can be given as a parameter while
> calling 'gnome-session', but the /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script that 'gdm'
> executes, doesn't seems to even consider that possibility. Should I edit that
> script to fix the problem? how?

Weird. I'm not sure. I know it works for me. :-/

>    I also want to know if there is an ellegant way to get rid of the nautilus
> desktop:), is nice, but I don't need it.

Applications->system->Gconf-editor, then set
/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop to false. (If the key doesn't
exist, create it.)

>    I don't like it specially because it seems to take a lot of CPU resources
> while adding or deleting icons for mounted systems. I can create an script that
> kills nautilus after starting the gnome session, but then, how can I
> automatically change the restarting flag that is set for 'nautilus' by gnome?

If you open Desktop Preferences->advanced->sessions, set Nautilus to not
restart.

>    Finally, does anyone know if the colors of the panels can be customized? how?

I believe the menu panel cannot really be customized. For other panels,
though, it's in the preferences dialog. (Right-click->preferences.)

--Ben