Re: Bitmap fonts

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:07:49PM -0300, Mariano Suarez-Alvarez wrote:
> > Anyone knows how to make them [bitmap fonts] available again to the
> > GNOME apps?
> >

> At least some versions of fontconfig require the bitmap fonts to be
> uncompressed (not gzip'd)

This did it. (One wonders why fontconfig wont scan gzip'd files...) Now
`fixed' and such are back where they belong. Thanks.

gnome-terminal, though, is acting weird now.

It won't echo chars as I type them, even though it has no problem
printing anything; for example, if I type anything in, it's invisible,
but if I do <ctrl>L, it does clear the window, and prints what I had
typed; it a problem with displaying chars, since everything else is working.
Also it now has a 1-char left margin on the left, which is not
there with mono spaced fonts.

Any ideas?

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Brian Hsu wrote:
> You may try export GDK_USE_XFT=0 in bash,then run gnome-session.
> And you could use all of your X Server fonts.

Yup, but then you lose anti-aliased fonts!

Mariano Suarez Alvarez
Departamento de Matematica - Universidad Nacional de Rosario
Pellegrini 250 - Rosario 2000 - Argentina

    De la observacion de la irreductibilidad de las creencias ultimas
    he sacado la mayor leccion de mi vida. Aprendi a respetar las ideas
    ajenas, a detenerme ante el secreto de las conciencias, a entender
    antes de discutir, a discutir antes de condenar. Y como estoy en
    vena de confesiones, hago una mas, quizas superflua: detesto con
    toda mi alma a los fanaticos.

    Norberto Bobbio, Italia civil.