Re: Gnome2: Workspaces, multiple sessions with gdm and nautilus desktop.

Thank you very much Ben!,

  Very helpfull tips, although, I'd still appreciate some more info:)

>>    I also want to know if there is an ellegant way to get rid of the nautilus
>> desktop:), is nice, but I don't need it.
>
>Applications->system->Gconf-editor, then set
>/apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop to false. (If the key doesn't
>exist, create it.)

    + where do you find complete information regarding keys for gconf-editor?:D

> >    I don't like it specially because it seems to take a lot of CPU
> resources
> > while adding or deleting icons for mounted systems. I can create an script
> that
> > kills nautilus after starting the gnome session, but then, how can I
> > automatically change the restarting flag that is set for 'nautilus' by
> gnome?
>
> If you open Desktop Preferences->advanced->sessions, set Nautilus to not
> restart.

    + Regarding the restarting flag for applications, how can I change that flag
permanently without having to change it every time I start gnome? is there a
config file I can edit or a program that I can run from a shell script?

> >    Regarding sessions: gdm always sent me to the default gnome session, it
> just
> > ignores any request from gnome session chooser (set
> > 'ShowGnomeChooserSession=true' in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf)
> >    I want to be able to choose from multiple customized sessions (for
> example,
> > one for use in home and other for the office).
> >    I understand that the name of the session can be given as a parameter
> while
> > calling 'gnome-session', but the /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script that 'gdm'
> > executes, doesn't seems to even consider that possibility. Should I edit
> that
> > script to fix the problem? how?
>
> Weird. I'm not sure. I know it works for me. :-/

    + I'm still wandering about the multiple gnome sessions, I'm attaching my
'/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome' file, maybe something is wrong there... or else, maybe
someone can send their working file for me to look at? I don't have any file
named '/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome-chooser' or so, was I supposed to have one maybe?

      Even if I try to create a new session in the Gnome chooser popup window,
that session does not appear again.
      I'm using Debian Woody, maybe this is a bug I should report? someone have
multiple gnome sessions working with woody?

    + I recently saw a message asking for how to disable panel tooltips, someone
suggest to use the gconf-editor (apps->panel->global->tooltips_enabled), I tried
it, but that only disabled tooltips in the menu panel... I still have tooltips
in the bottom panel, any ideas?

        Thank you very much again!,

                                        Patricio

Following is my file '/etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome'

#!/bin/sh
#
# /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome
#
# global GNOME session file -- used by gdm

# See /etc/X11/Xsession for inspiration

# Setup standard error and standard output to user's home directory if possible.

if [ -z "$DEBUG_GNOME_SESSION" ]; then
    for errfile in "$HOME/.gnome-errors" "${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/gnomeses-$USER"
"/tmp/gnomeses-$USER"; do
      if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null ); then
	chmod 600 "$errfile"
	exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
	break
      fi
    done
fi

### Shell environment

# Abstract getting login options

logindefsfile=/etc/login.defs

haveloginoption() {
  optionname=$1
  echo "$0: checking $logindefsfile for option $optionname" >&2
  grep -qs ^$optionname $logindefsfile
}

loginoptionvalue() {
  optionname=$1
  optionvalue=`awk "\\$1 == \"$optionname\" { print \\$2 }" $logindefsfile`
  echo "$0: $logindefsfile: \"$1\" is \"$optionvalue\"" >&2
  echo $optionvalue
}

if [ -z "$USER" ]; then
    USER=`whoami`
    export USER
fi

# Get defaults from /etc/login.defs
if haveloginoption UMASK; then
    umask `loginoptionvalue UMASK`
fi

# Commented out these lines since GDM does give a reasonable default path
#if haveloginoption ENV_PATH; then
#    eval `loginoptionvalue ENV_PATH`
#fi

if haveloginoption ULIMIT; then
    ulimit `loginoptionvalue ULIMIT`
fi

if [ -z "$MAIL" ]; then
    if haveloginoption MAIL_DIR; then
	MAIL=`loginoptionvalue MAIL_DIR`/$USER
	export MAIL
    elif haveloginoption MAIL_FILE; then
	MAIL=$HOME/`loginoptionvalue MAIL_FILE`
	export MAIL
    fi
fi

### X environment (resources etc)

# Get options from gnome/session.options or Xsession.options if session.options
does not exist

for optionfile in /etc/gnome/session.options /etc/X11/Xsession.options; do
  if [ -f $optionfile ]; then
    break
  fi
done
echo "$0: using $optionfile for options" >&2

# Abstract getting options

haveoption() {
  optionname=$1
  echo "$0: checking $optionfile for option $optionname" >&2
  grep -qs ^$optionname $optionfile
}

sysmodmap=/etc/X11/Xmodmap
usrmodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/etc/X11/Xresources
usrresources=$HOME/.Xresources

usrgnomerc=$HOME/.gnomerc

startssh=
sshagent=/usr/bin/ssh-agent

if [ -d $sysresources ]; then
  if [ "$(echo $sysresources/*)" != "$sysresources/*" ]; then
    for resourcefile in $(ls $sysresources/* 2> /dev/null | egrep
'^[-/_[:alnum:]]*$'); do
      xrdb -merge $resourcefile
    done
  fi
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
  if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
  fi
fi

if haveoption allow-user-resources; then
  if [ -f $usrresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $usrresources
  fi
fi

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]; then
  if haveoption allow-user-modmap; then
    if [ -f $usrmodmap ]; then
      xmodmap $usrmodmap
    fi
  fi
fi

gnomesession="/usr/bin/gnome-session --purge-delay=15000"

if [ -f $usrgnomerc ]; then
  . $usrgnomerc
fi

if [ -n "$DEBUG_GNOME_SESSION" ]; then
  exit 0
fi

if [ -x $sshagent -a -z "$SSH_AUTH_SOCK" ]; then
  startssh=yes
fi

if [ -n "$startssh" ]; then
  exec $sshagent -- $gnomesession