Gnome2: Workspaces, multiple sessions with gdm and nautilus desktop.

Greetings!,

   I have some configurations issues for gnome2, I'll really appreaciate if
anyone can help me.

   I just installed gnome2, I was surprised to know that this version does not
support viewports, and we have to use only workspaces... are there any way to
arrange workspaces in rows and columns? so that we are not forced to a
sequencial change of workspaces?, that was a very handy feature of viewports!.

   Regarding sessions: gdm always sent me to the default gnome session, it just
ignores any request from gnome session chooser (set
'ShowGnomeChooserSession=true' in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf)
   I want to be able to choose from multiple customized sessions (for example,
one for use in home and other for the office).
   I understand that the name of the session can be given as a parameter while
calling 'gnome-session', but the /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome script that 'gdm'
executes, doesn't seems to even consider that possibility. Should I edit that
script to fix the problem? how?

   I also want to know if there is an ellegant way to get rid of the nautilus
desktop:), is nice, but I don't need it.
   I don't like it specially because it seems to take a lot of CPU resources
while adding or deleting icons for mounted systems. I can create an script that
kills nautilus after starting the gnome session, but then, how can I
automatically change the restarting flag that is set for 'nautilus' by gnome?

   Finally, does anyone know if the colors of the panels can be customized? how?

   Thank you very much, sincerely...

                                       Patricio