Re: starting gnome-panel

Here, for example, is one of the ~/.Xclients versions I've tried:

#!/bin/bash
. $HOME/.bash_profile
xsetroot -solid '#72789b'
xterm &
gnome-panel &
exec icewm || exec xterm -fg red

The panel appears with its proper custom configuration. The xterm
shows up, too, but not the background color I define here (no
opportunity yet to figure out why).

The desktop switcher appears on the panel to the extent its stub is
there, but no desktops are displayed. The stub allows me to bring up
desktop switcher's preferenes dialog with the RMB. In the preferences,
my gnome prerence for 6 desktops is not seen, but only the default
single desktop. However, I can change that configuration (not sure,
but suspect it's lost when I log out). However, none of these desktops
are displayed, only the applet stub.

Haines Brown