Re: starting gnome-panel

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 08:48, Haines Brown wrote:
> I created a ~/.Xclients file to load a windows manager, but want to
> continue using gnome-panel with it. So I thought I simply needed to
> append the gnome-panel command, but that didn't work. Instead I have
> to start gnome-panel from an xterm.

What's the behavior when you have it run gnome-panel? Are you running it
with an ampeersand so that X can continue reading .Xclients and run your
window manager?

> What should my statement be to start gnome-panel whenever X is started
> by a user?

Generally, if you want to run all of gnome you'd want to run
"gnome-session".

> When I do load gnome-panel from xterm, its desktop switcher tool is
> empty. That is, it is present on the gnome-panel, but does not display

The desktop switching functionality is provided by the window manager.
If none is running you won't get it.

--Ben