starting gnome-panel

I created a ~/.Xclients file to load a windows manager, but want to
continue using gnome-panel with it. So I thought I simply needed to
append the gnome-panel command, but that didn't work. Instead I have
to start gnome-panel from an xterm.

What should my statement be to start gnome-panel whenever X is started
by a user?

When I do load gnome-panel from xterm, its desktop switcher tool is
empty. That is, it is present on the gnome-panel, but does not display
any virtual desktops. It does not respond to changes in its
configuration of the number and arrangment of virtual desktop icons.

Haines Brown