Kudos to Red Hat

I just installed Red Hat's beta 'null' yesterday, and the Gnome2 desktop they have put together seems really nice. There are a few bugs/shortcomings - some of which may be Gnome2, and some just RedHat (it is a beta after all) - but it has a good and easy-to-use "look and feel" right out of the box. I blew away my previous Gnome 1.4 stuff intentionally (after backing it up) because I wanted to see what they've been doing.

Some of the improvements are probably fixes in Gnome2 itself since 2.0.0 (is it at 2.0.1 or 2.0.2 now?), but I hadn't been all that happy with my previous playing with Gnome2 using Garnome; which I assume is probably much closer to the default Gnome2 than this Red Hat beta is.

Really the only thing I felt I wanted to change was switching to a top "menu" panel instead of the default bottom panel; but I can see why the bottom panel is the default. I'm sure there'll be some tweaking issues that will come up, but that's really not an issue for the majority target audience obviously. I will say (not meaning to flame!) that the button order switch is still screwing me up, especially at logout - I keep getting the help dialog when I want to exit. ;-)

I feel a bit odd writing this from a Windows box, but my wife was just using the computer and I'm too lazy to reboot it right now. ;-)

--
Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering