Re: Are these "troubles" due to RedHat 8 or Gnome 2 ?

On Saturday 12 October 2002 04:58, George Farris wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 08:42, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Although I'm perfectly capable of command line solutions (vi rules),
> > that's not a reasonable expectation.  You just don't remove
> > functionality and call it better.
>
> I believe you actually missed something here.  The functionality hasn't
> been changed.  One can still run different window managers.  They have
> always been able to do so.  It is how it's accomplished that you don't
> care for.  Fair enough, each have there own desires.  I really don't
> think this is much of an issue and if it is and enough people want it
> I'm sure we'll see a different solution.

Hoping not to restart the flames  ;)

I'm a semi-literate user, I've been running Gnome (though some of my
preferred apps like Kmail and Quanta are KDE) because it seems to give more
choice, or at least is less pre-configured and Windoze-like, than KDE.
That's a big plus in my book.

I understand people's comments about 'bloat', personally I deplore it.
OTOH I *do* like a choice of window managers.   Best way to do this seems to
me to be at install time when one can decide what to load and what not to.

However, though I will mess with the command line if I have to, I'm wary of
doing so in case I screw something up.   So I'd much prefer to have a
menu-selected choice of 'suitable' WM's which are, by implication,
compatible.    I don't think this should result in too much bloat _if_ one
chooses which ones to load (or not), obviously if one chooses not to load 'em
they wouldn't be accessible from the menu.

I did like the selectable-WM feature of earlier Gnome versions.   And I *do*
appreciate the amount of work that goes into programming.

cr