Re: Are these "troubles" due to RedHat 8 or Gnome 2 ?

George Farris wrote:
On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 07:54, Geoffrey wrote:

Alan wrote:

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 09:01:31AM -0500, Paul E Johnson wrote:

I installed RH8 on a clean system and have some troubles. I have some config problems. If these are due to the much discussed RedHat "improvements" and "simplifications", please let me know and I'll get Gnome some other way.

1. How do you choose a Window Manager? That choice is gone from the config setup.

No normal user would ever want to do this, so there is no config option.

That is absolute crap. Windows users change there desktop appearance all the time. The more sophisticated Linux user wants more control not less. There's nothing wrong with providing such functionality, even for the less techincally oriented.

Yes you are right here but you forgot to mention that the more
sophisticated user would understand a simple procedure of killing one
process, for example (metacity) and starting another (sawfish) and so, doesn't require the option to be available in a preference window.

Although I'm perfectly capable of command line solutions (vi rules), that's not a reasonable expectation. You just don't remove functionality and call it better.

This is a somewhat basic understanding of Linux/UNIX you are talking
about here.  In a round about way this will force the user wanting more
changes to actually learn more.

Forced learning sucks. Understand, I've been doing the linux thing since around 1994, so I've been through the learning curve, and I believe in continued education. I can still remember marveling at the site of a login prompt on a 486...

--
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric 3times25 net