Re: Are these "troubles" due to RedHat 8 or Gnome 2 ?

Sean Middleditch wrote:
On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 10:54, Geoffrey wrote:

I'm an Enlightenment user and with gnome2, there's no longer compatibility, thus I'll be looking at dumping Gnome, rather then accepting the reduction in functionality.

This is Enlightenment's fault for not following updated standards,
iirc.  I suggest you point Enlightenment's developers over to
freedesktop.org, or switch to a window manager intended to work with a
desktop environment.  You can't expect gnome to hold back on adding new
features that require newer _standard_ WM specs just because of l337
users that "need" exotic WM's...  Even if for whatever reason Metacity
or the newer Sawfish do not have enough weird and useless features for
you, plenty of other WM's have already incorporated the newer standards
and work fine.  And, as a final note, as Enlightenment is becoming it's
own desktop shell, it will make itself incompatible with gnome/kde (this
taken from the Enlightenment website).

Enlightenment folks are working 17, thus 16.5 won't see any further development. Whether e17 does the freedesktop.org stuff or not, I don't know. So maybe e17 will provide the functionality I lost with Gnome2, good.

My argument is not so much with the issues with E and gnome as it is with gnome not providing an interface to easily change wm, so be it, ones that support the freedesktop.org standards.

Slamming E for having 'weird and useless features' is a cop out anyway. If you've got nothing to add to the issue, you can save your baseless opinions for yourself. For me, it's not an issue of 'kewl' features. I use Linux for my development work, so I'm not looking for something pretty, but something functional. E and gnome 1.2, gave me that nice meld of functionality, Gnome2 with any other wm does not.

Forget about E, let's talk about Gnome. What I see of Gnome 2 is less functionality, fewer applets. So, is this growth? I think not. I think Gnome 2 came out before it was ready, cause KDE is so kickass. Personally I don't like the look of kde, but it's got better functionality then Gnome.

--
Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric 3times25 net