Re: Monochrome Gnome Terminal?

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 03:33:45PM -0800 or thereabouts, Jeff Trefftzs wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> A quick question:  I recently upgraded to RH-7.1, and all its terminals now
> come in color.  Since I'm partially color-blind, I find this a major PITA,
> and would like to revert to the good old black on white (or dark on light)
> display.  Any hints?  And when I finally upgrade to Gnome-1.4 (or later),
> is this problem already fixed?

I can't remember what the defaults are for RH 7.2 or for Gnome 1.4.1
as a whole because I changed them all.

Click on Properties or Preferences or whatever it's called in the
toolbar of the terminal. If you have removed the toolbar because
it's a complete waste of space, control-right-click on the terminal
to get to the Preferences dialogue.

(You can get away with just right-clicking without the control key
unless you have already done a left-click in that terminal, in which
case it will assume the right-click is to complete the selection the
left-click started.)

There are four tabs in the preferences dialogue. The third is
called Colours (or Colors to non-en_GB speakers :)).

The second choice there is fore/background color (um. Even in
en_GB. Bug there, I think :)). There's various black on white,
white on black, green on black choices. If you select custom
colours, you'll be able to play with the colour selector
underneath, but you don't need to.

Once you have selected black on white, play with the 'colour
scheme' button, because the shades of black and white vary
according to whether you pick rxvt, linux console or something
different! (Does anyone know why this is?)

Apply. Close.

If you are using RH and want only monochrome, you may also
want to turn off the color-ls facility that RH gives people
by default. This is provided by /etc/profile.d/colorls.sh,
which is in turn read by /etc/profile. You can either take
the "I am the only person on this machine" approach and just
delete the colorls.sh file, or you can add "unalias ls;
unalias l.; unalias ll" into your .bash_profile or .bashrc
(I forget which one :)) This will revert back to the nice
old style of just the names in the expected foreground font.
You can actually change the individual colours used for
this, but I just remove the whole capability. I believe
"dircolors" is what you'd need to look up to do that.

It is very very much worth filing a bug on the colours of
the default gnome-terminal: accessibility has become very
important to GNOME and to the companies shipping it. So
either RH's bugzilla (RHL 7.1/gnome-core) or GNOME's
(gnome-core/gnome-terminal) will do. Both is good :)

Telsa