Adding antialiased fonts with gnome 2.0

Hi everyone, i'm new to that list so i'll try to avoid being ridiculous.
I don't know if it's the right list to ask, but there are so many that
i've searched the most generalist list.

Ok, so here's my question :

I just installed gnome 2.0 on my Sid, and i try to install some new
fonts to my system. With antialiasing disabled, i can use every font i
want, but when i enable antialiasing (using export GDK_USE_XFT=1 in my
.xinitrc), the list of fonts available is much smaller, and doesn't
contain any of the fonts i want to use.

is there anyone here who knows how to bypass this "limitation" ?

Thanks for answers

Sorry for my awful english.

Mathieu