Re: unable to install gnome-libs-1.4.1.7

Sounds like you're missing a lot of stuff.

Make sure you have GNU Automake installed.  You'll also need libxpm,
which should be provided by your OS or X vendor.

It certainly would help if you were more detailed in your system
information - OS, version of X, and so on.  ^,^