Re: Gnome2 Mailing List

On Mon, 2002-06-10 at 04:24, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 11:11:09PM -0400, bordoley msu edu wrote:
> > Ximian has daily snapshot builds of gnome2 available from red carpet. Thats
> > probably the easiest way to get a build of gnome2 on to your machine.

Without causing offense or starting a flame war, I would rather not use
Ximian, there is always something it messes up on every install, this
have been on systems from RH 7.0 to 7.3 and Mandrake and Debian.

So I tend to shy away from their desktop, but Evolution is cool!

> Given that the original poster said they way 99% of the way to the top
> of the heap, we might as well pitch in and push him all the way there.
> :-)
>
> Post your problems here, Mark, and we'll try to help.

Cheers, I had a few problems, but I'm about to reinstall Gnome2 again
with different $PATH options (yes I know I'm sadistic), one of the
problems I had was that for example if it wanted to run
scrollkeeper-update, it would run it in /usr/bin/scrollkeeper-update
first, rather than running the version in /opt/gnome2.

I have just altered my path prefixes and order and give it another go.

The others was with yelp not compiling, and sawfish moaning that it
needs version 0.14 of rep-gtk, but as mentioned I'm about to reinstall
again and I'll see if the path has made any difference.

> One drawback to the daily snapshot path is that every day (or whenever
> you upgrade to the latest snapshot) you end up downloading every package
> again, since (at least in the rpm versions), they are all versioned with
> the date, so you upgrade _every_single_package, which is a lot of
> bandwidth for those who pay by the (mega)byte or use modems.

True, I used to have a modem (I live in the uk), but I have now switched
to broadband, so its not really an issue that much.

But when I used to run a modem, I would wait for the final release or
very occasionally try one version of a snapshot, but I see youre point.

--
---
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;