Displaying icon names on icons in the task list?

Is there any way to get a windows ``icon name'' displayed in the task
list?.  This is the iconName property in Xt and the -n option to
xterm.  I'm used to  having a nice long title on the title bar
and a very short name on the icon.

I've just been making another attempt to convert from fvwm2 to gnome,
having convinced myself that I really can get all of the keyboard and
mouse shortcuts that I'm addicted to working -- which is seemingly
impossible with KDE.  At this point, not having the iconName property
of my xterm's displayed in the task list is about the only thing that
I don't view as a big improvement.

			Rick