From: Daniel Hauck [mailto:xdesign hotmail com]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 1:47 PM
To: Roland Schabenberger
Subject: Re: Binary RPM packages for RedHat 7.3

Unfortunately, no.  I have tried the Gnome2 channel but it's really just snapshot versions and very prone to being screwed up in some way or another.  So I have aborted the use of that until they present official 2.x Gnome packages.  Don't know how long it will take, but I'm with you for wanting to stay with RPM as much as possible.  Although, if you on occasion like to experience a challenge mentally, try tracking down dependencies and stuff after you have used --force indiscriminately. :)

I have definitely learned a lot through those experiences.  I've had Gnome break on me many times but now I'm starting to get a feel for it's innards.  Imagine crashing the system in some way and then not having Nautilus come up?  I had no idea why my wallpaper didn't come back.  Or imagine running "gmc" while Nautilus is active and they're both trying to be the desktop manager?  Oh the fun I had...