Gnome 2.0 on RH 7.3 via garnome

Has anyone gotten Gnome 2.0 to work on a RH7.3 system via garnome?

I installed Gnome 2.0 via Garnome into /usr/local/garnome on a RH 7.3
system (took almost 2 hours to compile and install on my PIII 1GHz,BTW).

Now however, I cannot figure out how to startx using Gnome 2.0 instead
of the already installed Gnome 1.4.

There appears to be no user or default .xinitrc file in RH 7.3 and I am
not sure what to modify to make this work.

I added the following to my .bashrc:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/garnome/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATY=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/garnome/lib
GDK_USE_XFT=1 export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT

I added a .xinitrc in my home directory with the following line:

exec gnome-session

But this does not work.  I've tried searching the web, and while I've
found others with the same issue, I haven't found any resolution.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris