Re: Gnome 2.0 on RH 7.3 via garnome

On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 09:56:39PM -0700, Chris Jones wrote:
[...]
> Now however, I cannot figure out how to startx using Gnome 2.0 instead
> of the already installed Gnome 1.4.

[...]
> I added the following to my .bashrc:
>
> PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/garnome/bin
> LD_LIBRARY_PATY=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/garnome/lib

Both your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH need to have the garnome component
_first_, since they scan from beginning to end.

As you have it set up now, it finds all of the GNOME 1.4 stuff before
getting to the GNOME 2 stuff.

> GDK_USE_XFT=1 export PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT
>

> I added a .xinitrc in my home directory with the following line:
>
> exec gnome-session

I'm assuming here that you are starting things via 'startx', rather than
xdm. Otherwise, all the above stuff (including the PATH, etc) should go
in your $HOME/.xsession file (see the release notes for an example of
this).

Cheers,
Malcolm