panel and control centre broken after updating GNOME packages

Three small difficulties installing Gnome related packages.  Any help or
comments appreciated.  Please let me know if I'm missing any information
you need, or if there's a better place to post these queries.

I am currently running Gnome 1.4 on SuSE 7.2.

I recently uninstalled the rpms for, and installed the source for:

             rpm        source
gdk-pixbuf  ?          0.14.0
gnome-vfs   ?          1.0.3
libxml      1.8.11-53  1.8.16
oaf         0.6.5-30   0.6.7

I did './configure --prefix="/opt/gnome" ' for each, as SuSE puts GNOME
in /opt.  Compiliation and installation went fine apart from:

Problem 1. Compiling gnome-vfs: 'make' died after reported the following
error:

> void /usr/bin/gtkdoc-mkhtml: index.sgml: No such file or directory
 > make: *** [html-build.stamp] Error 1

Which I solved by commenting out line 394 $src/doc/Makefile (in
html-build.stamp):

 > html-build.stamp: sgml.stamp $(DOC_MAIN_SGML_FILE) $(content_files)
 > @echo '*** Building HTML ***'
> test -d $(srcdir)/html || (rm -rf $(srcdir)/html && mkdir $(srcdir)/html)
 > ### cd $(srcdir)/html && gtkdoc-mkhtml $(DOC_MODULE)
../$(DOC_MAIN_SGML_FILE)

This was a brutal hack for which I apologise, but I couldn't figure out
another way to do it & I thought I wouldn't miss the documentation for
the time being.

Problems 2 & 3. The new GNOME: a couple of things Don't Work any more:

2. Applets can no longer be added to panels.  The menus all work, but
all that gets added is a Gnome footprint/question mark icon, which
doesn't do anything.

3. The Gnome Control Centre has no pages.  The GUI pops up in response
to selecting it from the Gnome menu; the sections tree is down the left
hand side, but the right hand side which should contain the dialogues
remins empty whatever section I select.

Any leads appreciated.

Best wishes

Ivan Uemlianin