Re: Some example code for a new crash handler

Hello,

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 15:59, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Charles Iliya Krempeaux <tnt linux ca> writes:
> > Well, how about, instead of saving things over the original files,
> > you save it as another file name.
>
> You don't understand the problem - the problem is that once you get
> the SEGV signal, any piece of memory in the program could contain
> total junk. _Any_ piece. That means there is no way to do anything
> sane. Say you save your spreadsheet - one of the values in the
> 100,000-row sheet could be slightly incorrect, for example.

You are correct.  With a spreadsheet, this feature might be very
useless.  But there are cases where this could be useful.  If
I am writing a (text) document... or an e-mail... then having this
feature might be able to help me remember what I wrote.  I might
not be able to use the .crash file... but at least it would help
me recreate the work I already did.

Note, I am not suggesting that you simply use the .crash file... and
do something like

    mv something.txt.crash   something.txt

(This is NOT what I am suggesting.)

What I am suggesting is that the .crash file could be used to help
remember what you did.

Have you ever been writing an essay or something... for an hour...
and forgot to save it... and had the program crash.  If you had
a .crash file, then maybe you could look at it, and maybe
see some of the stuff you did.. so you wouldn't have to start
from scratch.

So I guess what I'm saying is that this feature might not be
useful to every type of file... but there are certain types
of files where it would be useful, IMO.

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux
     tnt @ linux.ca