Re: GTK(?) vs unclutter... please fix!

"Paul Smith"<pausmith nortelnetworks com> writes:
> If it were a window manager bug I would expect it to happen in all
> applications.

As a window manager author, I don't expect that - there are often
legitimate things for apps to do, that only certain apps ever do.
I've had WM bugs that only happened for XMMS, that only happened for
Emacs, that only happened for GTK programs containing embedded
out-of-process subwindows.

>   hp> unclutter is implemented via really bad hacks, so it's not
>   hp> surprising if they break.
>
> That's an easy answer, unfortunately the functionality that unclutter
> implements is really important to me and X simply does not provide any
> better way to implement it.  If you think otherwise I'd sure like to
> hear about it.

The fact that there's no good way to do something doesn't mean the bad
way should be expected to work. ;-) However I do think these hacks
should work most of the time, and it's probably a WM bug when they
don't. It's just not surprising to me that the WM doesn't anticipate
what unclutter is up to.

Havoc