Re: GNOME info

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 16:32, geoffrey wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 15:38, Staven Bruce wrote:
>
> > > Our Office is in the process of implementing serveral Linux servers for
> > > everything from BIND to NFS to APACHE. My posistion is that GNOME is a
> > > lightweight, flexible UI to standardize on for all of our servers. However,
> > > we have some pretty KDE focused folks in the group and I am trying to come
> > > up with every possible reason I can as to why we shouldn't use KDE on our
> > > servers. Any reasons, ideas, rants you might have would be appreciated!
>
> Okay, these are servers we are talking about. Why are they running X and
> a wm/Desktop Environment anyway? Servers need only a console -
> especially if you plan to expose them to the Internet! Reason for not
> using KDE (or GNOME for that matter) on your **servers**: they shouldn't
> be running a gui in the first place!! Now, running the ltsp setup is a
> different matter altogether.

There are lots of applications and utilities which are X based that are
nice to have on servers, if you're not familiar with the console, or
just lazy.

RedHat, for example, comes with some utilities.  Most major applications
have a configuration utility.

Granted, there are also nice web-based configuration applications, which
may be a better choice than a GUI...