Re: Gnome terminal key mapping changes?

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 04:46:02PM -0500, Sean Millichamp wrote:
> Do you know, was vte rewritten/replaced?  I guess it's time to grab the
> source and maybe check out the changelog....

Yes, VTE is "all new" - there are good reasons for that, while zvt
(the old engine) mostly worked it did have some fundamental problems,
such as not working with the new font system and not working properly
with multibyte/Unicode text.

VTE has been substantially bugfixed since 8.0 and so simply upgrading
to a tarball/rawhide release might work for you.

It's also possible that the problems you're seeing are simply
locale/encoding related, due to the switch to UTF-8 locales.
i.e. they may not reflect a bug, just the terminal being in encoding A
and the app being in encoding B, or the app not understanding how to
handle different encodings.

> > F1 is down in the list, under "Help->Contents", select and press
> > backspace to disable it.
>
> Ahh, thanks.  That distinction wasn't clear to me.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to do that dialog. It exposes unfortunate
technical details to users.

> BTW: Havoc, no matter what list I find you on you are always very
> helpful and quick to respond to requests for help.  I want you to know
> that it's very much appreciated and I thank you.

Thanks for saying thanks!

Havoc