Re: Gnome terminal key mapping changes?

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 16:02, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> It's still supposed to emulate xterm. If the app works in xterm but
> not g-t, you probably want to file a bug report against the "vte"
> component.

It actually worked just fine in g-t 1.4.0.4 that shipped with RH 7.3
Well, there was one little screen color drawing thing that wasn't 100%
consistent with xterm but it is fully usable - 25 users are currently
doing that right now.  Something severe has apparently changed with the
way g-t 2.0.1 does things because as I'm testing it, it's completely
unusable now - screen draw problems, arrow keys not working, I think
there are one or two F-keys not working.  The app still works in plain
old xterm.  It seems like a severe departure in
compatibility/functionality within g-t (or apparently the vte component)
had to occur for this to have gone from working and usable to completely
unusable - hence why I asked about the emulation type changing.
Actually, come to think of it, while most things have been working just
fine in g-t 2.0.1 I have had some occasional screen drawing problems
with a MUD client called TinyFugue too that I never had with 1.4.0.4.

Do you know, was vte rewritten/replaced?  I guess it's time to grab the
source and maybe check out the changelog....

> > Also, no matter what I do gnome-terminal seems to grab F1 for help.
> > Even when I tell it to disable all keybindings.

> F1 is down in the list, under "Help->Contents", select and press
> backspace to disable it.

Ahh, thanks.  That distinction wasn't clear to me.

BTW: Havoc, no matter what list I find you on you are always very
helpful and quick to respond to requests for help.  I want you to know
that it's very much appreciated and I thank you.

Sean