Re: Looking for ways to speed up Ghome

Unless you have a really REALLY slow hard disk or something I reckon there
has to be a problem with your setup. I run gnome on a similar system
(p2-300, 192 Mb), and it's fine, Nautilus and all. No way should it take a
minute to activate an applet, and if Opera takes 30s to load it's not just
a GTK/Gnome problem (Opera doesn't use either).

What are the error messages you see 'under' the GUI? Sometimes these
are innocuous but they may give some hint. Do you get any errors when you
boot?

The only thing I can think of is that in the past you used to have to
append something like mem=192M to lilo.conf in order to get Linux to
use all your memory, but I don't think this is necessary in recent
kernels.

Try some other apps, see if it slows everything down, try in plain X or
KDE, try running 'top' to see if some stray process is eating the CPU.
The suggestions other people have been making are fine for general
speedups, but I think your problem may be more fundamental.

Best of luck, Martin.