RE: Looking for ways to speed up Gnome

Lee J. wrote:
----------------->>>>
Hi,

I doubt it should be quite *that* slow.  Just a couple of things I want
to mention (I'm not addressing the whole of your message).

Make sure you're using GMC for the desktop and *not* Nautilus.  In
Ximian Gnome, you can do this from the post-installation wizard.  GMC is
a *lot* faster.  In fact I'd recommend removing nautilus altogether if
this does make a difference.

I suspect in Control Center/Settings/Session Properties & Startup, you
might have 'Automatically save changes to session' selected.  IIRC this
loads everything that was running the last time you shut down Gnome.
Even those apps in the background that you might not have properly
terminated may be relaunched every time you log into Gnome.  Uncheck
this box, click apply and from a terminal delete the file
~/.gnome/session (del ~/.gnome/session).

If that was part of the problem, you should notice a difference after
you restart.
Been a big supporter of this Nautilus development, but have decided that it
isn't for some of my older systems.  I had not started the task of removing
Nautilus from these systems, when I read that I can make the change in the
post-installation wizard, which I can not seem to find.  Removing Nautilus
isn't that important to me, as saving time with a quick wizard and I'm done
thing.  Please where or what is this post-installation wizard?