Re: Embarassingly simple Q

"John J. LeMay Jr." <jlemay njmc com> writes:
> The most embarassing task I have been unable to sucessfully complete
> consistently is creating desktop icons (links) for applications
> (Netscape, Pan) or shell scripts (to start Java applications for
> example).

This works much better in CVS Nautilus (soon to be 1.0.5) and in the
upcoming Red Hat release (Roswell beta), which has the same patches.
You can drag launchers from the panel (after creating them on the
panel with "Create launcher") menu item, or you can even drag directly
from the panel menus IIRC.

If you want to go low-level, the desktop icons are just .desktop files
in the ~/.gnome-desktop directory, see
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards for a description of those files.

Havoc