Embarassingly simple Q

I've been using Gnome with Nautilus for a while now, either as Ximian 1.0 or
1.4, or more recently as the Gnome 1.4 build shipped with Mandrake 8.1.
Unfortunately I never really picked up some basics. Coming from Window Maker,
which I used for years, I never really dealt with a desktop. Now that I want to
use the desktop features of Gnome and Nautilus, I can't do some simple tasks.

The most embarassing task I have been unable to sucessfully complete
consistently is creating desktop icons (links) for applications (Netscape, Pan)
or shell scripts (to start Java applications for example). Could someone shed
some light on the logic behind links and the Gnome/Nautilus desktop or point me
to some good docs? I've tried the Nautilus manual, it seems out of date. I
didn't see anything over at the Gnome site that jumped out at me either.

thanks!

John LeMay Jr.
Senior Enterprise Consultant
NJMC, LLC.