Desktop over Desktop??

Hello,

I am new to linux, but I have some unix background.  I am having a problem
with gnome.  When it starts up I can see icons flash, but then another
desktop gets put over the top with different icons.  The desktop is actually
about half an inch lower than the desktop below, so I can see my home
directory icon.

How can I get rid of the second desktop???

Thanks in advance,

Paul R. Johnson

P.S. Anyone having problem with gnome locking up when a screen saver gets
activated??