Re: help gnome is not working on XDarwin

Hello
I actually found out that I have one .xinitrc file in my user directory and one xinitrc file in /etc/X11/xinit. It seems to me that the first one is used when I launch XDarwin with my regular account and that the second one is the one used when i launch XDarwin as root. Am I right ?

Copy your .xinitrc file to .xinitrc.save (or something like that).
Comment out 'exec gnome-session' and add 'exec xterm' instead.
If it works you will get a very unfriendly (and unlovely) background
plus an xterm window.

So I did and yes I have an Xterm window.

However my suspicion is that you won't get this far 'cause you appear to
be unauthorised to run X on your server.  check for an entry like
'auth="$HOME/.Xauthority" in your xinit file (this should be in /etc/X11
or similar, they vary from distro to distro).

I didnt have such an entry in my xinit file so I wrote that but when I launch XDarwin the console tells me :
cat: /var/root/.Xauthority: No such file or directory
or
cat: /Users/viz/.Xauthority: No such file or directory
depending on what account I use
So what is this file about anyway ?

I also have the following message now :

Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1

It could be your permissions for your home directory, who are you
running X as?

I run it as root but I believe that the problem is the same when i run it with my regular account.

The next big problem is that X is unable, apparently, to use any of the
settings for resolution that you have.  I think you're going to need to
re-run XF86Setup to configure X-Windows again, unless XDarwin has a
setup utility that you can run (I use sax2 in SuSE which is excellent,
but of no use to you of course ;)).

How do I run XF86Setup ? I never did !!! :-(
In the XDarwin preferences there is an option for the use multiple monitors and its enabled.

Finally your 'locale' environment is wrong/not set.  Try 'echo $LANG'
from the command prompt you should see something like 'en_US' or 'en_GB' or something that indicates the two-letter country code and the language
code used on your system.

Let us know what results you get with these steps covered off.

Jim

I am a bit lost as you've probably guessed ;-)