ANNOUNCE: GDM 2.2.5.2, the "Shake before use" release

OIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK

To pretend I actually do some work, here is another release of gdm
so that people think that I actually am doing something.  This release
is mostly a bugfix release, though there is one or two things
that could be considered new features.  I suppose the biggest thing
in this release is the fact that if you run several X servers at once
it will start them sequentially to avoid a lockup.  Believe me,
lockups did happen, I sat through a very long fsck session because
I was testing this while doing a big compile.  The moral of that
story is that when you are testing something which you know causes
lockups, at least sync the discs first.

As a sidenote I've also started to port gdm to GNOME2.  At this point
it compiles and may (or may not) work.  If you are adventurous and like
running untested broken software with root privilages, then this is for you.
The GNOME2 version is in the HEAD branch of the gdm2 module in the GNOME CVS.
If you wish to use the stable version of gdm from CVS, it is also the
gdm2 module but it is in the branch gdm-2-2.

And now for the standard part of the release announcement:

Ahh, so you have no clue what gdm is?  Well if you've read this far ... let's
not get into that.  Gdm is GNOME Display Manager, the little daemon that lets
you log in to your computer.  It allows xdmcp multiple login displays,
selection of languages, multiple login sessions and generally is much cooler
then any xdm clone out there, mostly cuz it isn't an xdm clone to begin with.
I mean heck, it's even got a graphical configurator, so you don't have to use
the command line to hose your system anymore.

News:
=====

Highlights of 2.2.5.2:

- If multiple local servers are setup, then wait until one has started
  plus 3 more seconds before starting the next one, this prevents such
  not-good things such as full lockups happening

- Fix crash of greeter for timed login setups

- Keep 4 old copies of the X server logs to make debugging bad
  X setups easy

- The WM now supports NoInput windows, which improves gdm
  accessibility and makes it possible to run things like xscribble
  (Crossfire (from debian bug report) and moi)

- Minor leak fixes

- spec file updates (Gregory Leblanc)

- Translation updates (Roy-Magne Mo, Carlos Perelló Marín,
  Christophe Merlet, Khairulanuar Abd Majid)

Note:  Gdm2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>, and
is now maintained by the Queen of England.  Although when she's not answering
her email, me or Lee Mellabone usually cover for her.

Note2:  If installing from the tarball do note that make install overwrites
most of the setup files, all except gdm.conf and gnomerc.  It will however save
backups with the .orig extention first.

Note3:  Distributors, packagers.  Please, PLEASE use the standard Gnome script
when setting things up as gnome, or at least equivalently working scripts.  It
should never be OK to just exec gnome-session, that is considered bad form.
The script needs to read (if available) the ~/.gnomerc and otherwise read
the <sysconfdir>/gdm/gnomerc file.  This allows users and administrators to
setup custom startup for gnome.  Another thing is that if your distro
doesn't have gnome-core 1.4.0.3 or later you should probably disable the Gnome
Chooser stuff until that happens (you should update gnome-core anyway).  Third
thing is make sure to set up the X servers to run on the correct virtual
terminals if you start the gdm process before the other login thingies.  See
the end of the gdm.conf sample file.

Downloading:
============

ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/sources/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/i386/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/alpha/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/SRPMS/gdm/

BTW: i386 RPMS aren't done yet, I'll do them tommorrow I think

Have fun,

George

PS:  FIXME: Write a funny PS

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not