Re: help gnome is not working on XDarwin

I don't think this is a Gnome issue.

Copy your .xinitrc file to .xinitrc.save (or something like that).
Comment out 'exec gnome-session' and add 'exec xterm' instead.

If it works you will get a very unfriendly (and unlovely) background
plus an xterm window.

However my suspicion is that you won't get this far 'cause you appear to
be unauthorised to run X on your server.  check for an entry like
'auth="$HOME/.Xauthority" in your xinit file (this should be in /etc/X11
or similar, they vary from distro to distro).

It could be your permissions for your home directory, who are you
running X as?

The next big problem is that X is unable, apparently, to use any of the
settings for resolution that you have.  I think you're going to need to
re-run XF86Setup to configure X-Windows again, unless XDarwin has a
setup utility that you can run (I use sax2 in SuSE which is excellent,
but of no use to you of course ;)).

Finally your 'locale' environment is wrong/not set.  Try 'echo $LANG'
from the command prompt you should see something like 'en_US' or 'en_GB'
or something that indicates the two-letter country code and the language
code used on your system.

Let us know what results you get with these steps covered off.

Jim