Re: Help: Installing Ximian on Debian 2.2

I had similar problems.  I wound up wiping everything after
that damn installer hosed my system.  The way I do it now
on every Debian/Gnome box I set up is by adding the line
deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main
to /etc/apt/sources.list

Then go into dselect and select task-ximian-gnome.  It all
just works, and then you are managing everything with
dselect.  I guess you could put all those deb packages on
Ximian's ftp site on a CD and then point apt at that, but it
seems silly.  Debian is a connected OS.  Security updates
and new releases for Debian and Ximian come out often.
That's the main advantage of apt-get.  No more CDs.
If you want, don't delete your downloaded deb files and
copy them from /var/cache to a CD for backup.

I maintain one Debian GNU/Linux Gnome box at home
over a <56k connection, and it works fine, as long as I
let dselect do its downloading at night while I sleep. :)

My apt sources are as follows:
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ potato main non-free contrib
deb http://security.debian.org potato/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main

My system has current Debian, security patches and
current Ximian.  To upgrade to current I type (from root):
ds<TAB><CR>        (which runs dselect on my system)
1<CR>
3<CR>
<CR>

Then everything is upgrading happily.  Nine keystrokes
to get current :)