Re: Release?

Well,

THe official release has not happened yet.  (From what I've
heard, it will probably be in February.)  However, you can
get `preview' releases.  This, is especially useful if
you are a developer (like me).

To get a preview release of GNOME 2, you have 2 oe 3 options.

Option 1, you could get gnomehide.  Check out:

  ftp://people.redhat.com/hp/gnomehide/

Option 2, you could get it from Ximian's Red Carpet (if you are
also running Red Hat Linux 7.1 or 7.2).  If you are running Red Hat
Linux 7.1 (like I am), you're going to have a bit of a problem since
some of the RPM are missing.  But never fear, there's a way to fix
it.  To get Ximian's GNOME 2 developer snapshots working with Red Hat
Linux 7.1, follow these instructions:

    With Red Hat Linux 7.1 and Ximian GNOME, and want GNOME 2, you'll
    have a bit of a problem.  Red Carpet won't be able to find
    pkgconfig, fam, fam-devel, or gtk-doc.  (pkgconfig is the one
    that stops you from downloading almost all the the development
    packages, since they all, almost, depend on it.)

    But there's a solution....

    Get pkgconfig from:

ftp://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/redhat/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/pkgconfig-0.8.0-1.i386.rpm

    Get fam from:

ftp://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/redhat/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/fam-2.6.4-14.i386.rpm

    Get fam-devel from:

ftp://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/redhat/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/fam-devel-2.6.4-14.i386.rpm

    And get gtk-doc from:

ftp://ftp.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/redhat/redhat/linux/rawhide/i386/RedHat/RPMS/gtk-doc-0.7-1.noarch.rpm

    Anyways, just ignore it when Red Carpet tells you to upgrade any of
    those, since they're not even on the server.  Just go an install
    everything else from the "GNOME 2.0 Developer Snapshots".

Option 3, well... go get it from the CVS, and work from the uninstalled
version.

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux
     tnt @ linux.ca