Re: (ximian) Gnome 1.4 - Lurkers feedback

Renze de Ruiter wrote:

> On 01 May 2001 15:50:17 +1200, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
>
> > Perhapse, but nautilus is a dog even when not viewing web pages.  I have
> > a PII300 with 96meg of ram, and nautilus takes (just took, I timed it)
> > 47 seconds to open. 40 secondss before it even displyed a window.  If I
> > dint not know better I would have thought I had miss-cliked teh icon!
>
> Bizarre.  I have a PII266 with 64MB of RAM and I don't have to wait
> anywhere near this long. Nautilus takes about 5 seconds to display a
> window for the first time, and maybe 8-10 seconds to load.
>
> > Also, memusage, before I installed Evolution and mozilla I never used to
> > consume swap mem, but with evo open, and two mozilla windows and about 2
> > 3rds (of 256meg swap) is used as well.  MAkes everything run like more
> > of a dog!
>
> I experience minimal usage of swap when launching Gnome 1.4 (with
> Nautilus).  It does tend to grow a little (I have 128MB of swap, and it
> might use 10%) when launching Mozilla.  Evolution (which I'm using right
> now), has no effect on swap at all.
>
> > Is GNOME targeted at normal users, or is it moving towards the elite,
> > only those with 512 meg of ram on a dual 1ghz machine?
>
> Sounds like you have some other issues going on.  Is the hardware in
> your machine properly supported by Linux?

I am running XFree86 from CVS (4.0.99.x) and use the latest development
Linux kernel (2.4.4).  Evolution is really slow for me.  Mozilla also
grinds away on many common operations (openning, compacting e-mail
folders,
rendering some pages, etc).

Are you folks who are seeing (relatively) snappy Nautilus performance
all running Linux 2.2.x?  Perhaps Linux kernel 2.4.x is just handling
swapping really badly.

	Miles