Re: (ximian) Gnome 1.4 - Lurkers feedback

On 30 Apr 2001 13:03:23 -0400, Josh McGee wrote:
> the mozilla component is only loaded when you use nautilus to surf the web.
> there is a gtkhtml base web component that uses less memory on cvs in the
> module nautilus-gtkhtml. i personally think some effort should be put into
> nautilus-gtkhtml, or a gtkhtml2 based one when its ready, because lets face
> it, mozilla is takeing forever to complete.

Perhapse, but nautilus is a dog even when not viewing web pages.  I have
a PII300 with 96meg of ram, and nautilus takes (just took, I timed it)
47 seconds to open. 40 secondss before it even displyed a window.  If I
dint not know better I would have thought I had miss-cliked teh icon!

Evolution (which I use for all my mail) is that same.  In all the hype
about having a componet based architecture did any one stop and think
about how slow it was going to be for most users until about 2005?

Also, memusage, before I installed Evolution and mozilla I never used to
consume swap mem, but with evo open, and two mozilla windows and about 2
3rds (of 256meg swap) is used as well.  MAkes everything run like more
of a dog!

Is GNOME targeted at normal users, or is it moving towards the elite,
only those with 512 meg of ram on a dual 1ghz machine?

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss